Make Your Own Weather!


I have lived on the west coast of Florida my whole life... well, until this past June when my family and I moved to North Carolina.  I have spent a lifetime at the beach, most of my shoes are flip-flops, and I put on "warm clothes" when the temperature drops below 75 degrees.  I can tell you all sorts of random facts about tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, alligators, and sunburns. But cold weather, truly cold weather, is something I know nothing about.  I never owned a "long john" until this year and I'm still trying to figure out how one's wooly-sock feet fit inside their regular shoes.

It's cold in North Carolina today.

Like, for-real cold.  Not "Florida cold."

  
And last night, as I noticed the majority of Facebook sharing their upcoming winter temperature nightmares, I saw Karen Jones post this cool idea... an idea no Floridian knows anything about.  For those of you who have grown up anywhere north of Atlanta, you may not get a kick out of this because you've probably already seen it.  Been there, done that, right?

But in case you haven't... you can throw a cup of really hot water into the cold air and POOF!

(You know how, sometimes, the ideas you read about don't work?)

This worked.

INSTANT CLOUD!  

I thought that was pretty cool.  So did my kids.

Thanks for the idea, Karen!  :)

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I grew up in Wisconsin with snow drifts taller than me, but I now live in Texas. I think my students would get such a kick out of this since we too are suffering from the frigid weather!

    Mrs. D
    The Third Wheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. D,

      I think they'll love it. I microwaved a coffee-cup of water for 2 minutes and then tossed it high in front of me (not straight up). I'm not sure how low the air temperature has to be, but I'd love to hear how it goes for you. It was 5º here this morning.

      Delete
  2. Awesome to see, and I'm not even a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had snow flurries in Jacksonville, Florida yesterday afternoon! Our high was only in the thirties. I know it's not as cold as most (I'm originally from Ohio), but for Florida, it's a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a big deal! I lived in Florida for more than 40 years and I saw it "snow" (although I use the term loosely) twice... that's it. Did you try to make a cloud?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...